Assistant Professor, School of Kinesiology & Nutrition
The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Assistant Professor, School of Kinesiology & Nutrition.
118 College Drive
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 39406-0001
|Posting Close Date
The University of Southern Mississippi invites applicants for a full-time, nine month, tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor, within the School of Kinesiology & Nutrition, College of Education and Human Sciences.
This faculty position requires teaching graduate and undergraduate-level courses in the School, developing a programmatic line of research, advising students, and providing service to the school, college, university and professional organizations. This position will support Physical Education licensure, undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
This tenure-track appointment involves commitment to build upon School efforts by:
1. Teaching undergraduate, masters and doctoral level coursework;
2. Sustain a robust research agenda to include creation and dissemination of new knowledge, pursuit of external research support, and supervising undergraduate and graduate-level research;
3. Assisting with the assessment and evaluation of programs;
4. Advising undergraduate and graduate students; and
5. Other duties as assigned.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants should include a cover letter to include information detailing potential for high-quality teaching and scholarship, a curriculum vitae, a research agenda and a list of three professional references. Review of applications will begin December 1, 2018.
Anticipated starting date is the Fall of 2019.
1. Earned doctorate in Kinesiology (or closely related field) with expertise and qualifications to support Physical Education degree programs. Degree must be posted by start date.
2. Demonstrated line of scholarly inquiry evidenced by submission of peer-reviewed publications, professional presentations and/or grant submissions.
3. Strong written and oral communication skills
4. Demonstrate ability to work effectively and collegially with students, staff and faculty
from diverse backgrounds, programs and colleges.
1. Expertise in Physical Education and or Sport Pedagogy with 3 years of teaching experience
at the elementary and or secondary level.
2. Experience in teaching graduate courses at the senior college/university level.
3. Experience with ONLINE teaching delivery systems like CANVAS.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
Founded in 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi is a comprehensive doctoral and research-driven university with a proud history and an eye on the future. A dual-campus university, Southern Miss serves students on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, in addition to five teaching and research sites in Mississippi and through Online at Southern Miss. Since 2006, our students have collected three Truman Scholarships and 18 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships. USM students also lead Mississippi with 21 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Our Drapeau Center for Undergraduate Research affords our students meaningful research opportunities, and as a proven leader in innovation, we conduct transformative research that translates into real-world solutions. As one of only 36 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music, we are a haven for creativity and artistic expression. In the classroom or lab, on the playing field, or in the performance hall, we strive to have a positive impact not only on our students, but also the world around us. Further information is found at www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.