Assistant Professor of Marketing
The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Marketing.
118 College Drive
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 39406-0001
|Posting Close Date
|Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
The School of Marketing in the College of Business and Economic Development at The University of Southern Mississippi seeks to fill a full-time, nine-month, tenure-track Assistant Professor of Marketing position starting August 2024. To ensure full consideration, completed application materials (including a cover letter, research, and teaching philosophies) should be submitted to The University of Southern Mississippi website at https://jobs.usm.edu by the priority deadline of October 15, 2023. Questions should be directed to Dr. Brigitte Burgess (Brigitte.Burgess@usm.edu).
The School of Marketing invites candidates to apply for the Assistant Professor of Marketing position beginning August 2024. The position will support our growing Marketing BSBA and Professional Sales Certificate program and our planned Marketing Analytics certificate. Candidates with experience in engaged learning, sales, analytics, and online teaching are especially encouraged to apply.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- The candidate will be expected to teach three courses per semester (or equivalent) to be determined by the Director of the School. The successful candidate's teaching obligations will support the Professional Selling Certificate, the Marketing BSBA degree, and the Marketing Analytics certificate.
- Primary teaching responsibilities are expected to be in the sales and analytics areas, such as Sales Analytics/CRM, Professional Sales, Sales Management, Advanced Professional Sales, or Marketing Analytics.
- The desired candidate will be willing and able to teach various marketing courses, such as Principles of Marketing, Marketing Management, Consumer Behavior, and others, as needed.
- Faculty are expected to maintain an active research record, high-quality teaching, and contribute service to the mission of the program (below), School, College, and University.
- Scholarly research published in recognized journals is required for tenure and promotion, as is evidence of innovation and/or continuous improvements in the classroom.
- Additional responsibilities may include mentoring undergraduate students, supporting undergraduate research, recruitment, and other service activities (such as committee work and other official activities) for the School, College, and University; performs other duties as assigned.
Ph.D./D.B.A. in Marketing or related field from an AACSB-accredited institution. Candidates with ABD status may also be considered but must provide strong evidence that the doctoral degree will be completed before August 2025.
A high-quality research pipeline and proven research record evidenced by quality publications. Relevant teaching experience/interests and demonstrated effective project-focused applied teaching experience. Ability to deliver instruction effectively in both face-to-face and online environments. Relevant experience in course development (face-to-face and online) and professional and/or academic experience related to sales and/or analytics is desired. Emphasis is also on candidates who can connect with and relate to our students and challenge them to become effective problem solvers according to the School of Marketing's Mission/Vision.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites across the Mississippi Gulf Coast, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 131 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and large event venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 37 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of more than 14,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 37 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 27 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.