Director for Center Fisheries Research & Development
The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Director for Center Fisheries Research & Development.
Gulf Coast Research Laboratory
703 East Beach Drive
Ocean Springs, Mississippi, 39564
||GCRL Center for Fisheries Research
|Posting Close Date
||Open until filled
This position will manage and direct the day-to-day activities and lead research efforts for The University of Southern Mississippi’s Center for Fisheries Research & Development (CFRD). The CFRD is a coastal research center located at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory in Ocean Springs, Mississippi.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs the day-to-day operations, planning and workflow for CFRD. Assesses and implements improvements for CFRD research activities and administrative operations and develops strategies to increase and expand extramural funding. Oversees day-to-day personnel operations and approves and maintains uniform procedures and standards of operation.
- Coordinates and directs grant funded research projects. Plans, organizes and executes new and existing research programs. Authors papers in referred journals and writes proposals and technical reports.
- Assists the AVP for Research – Coastal Operations and GCRL Director with mission-oriented activities as they relate to the success of GCRL and the University.
- Collaborates internally with USM research units and externally with state, federal and private partners to enhance cooperative research efforts. As part of the coastal research leadership team, participates in events involving state and regional groups (legislators, political leaders, agencies, contractors, non-governmental organizations, etc.) to advance USM’s research and educational missions.
- Duty Conducts other duties as assigned.
Doctoral degree (or doctoral candidate with satisfactory progress towards degree completion) from an accredited college or university and a minimum of ten years of experience in fisheries research. Two years of supervisory experience. One year of experience in organization and/or facility administration. Demonstrated success in securing external grant funds. Related education and related experience may be substituted on an equal basis. Valid Driver License is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Must have the ability to:
- plan and organize research projects and effectively manage subordinate personnel to achieve research objectives;
- consult with state and federal agencies in order to further develop mission;
- exercise good judgment in appraising situations and making decisions;
- present comments and opinions clearly and concisely and deal tactfully with others; and,
- effectively present study results to appropriate scientific and governmental groups.
Business Strategy & Acumen: Understands higher education and can use industry/professional terminology fluently. Thinks strategically and seeks to align department services and goals with institutional strategic goals. Asks critical questions to delve to root cause to identify solutions. Understands the interconnection of decisions, actions, outcomes and measures.
Professional Knowledge and Application: Takes initiative to develop and apply professional knowledge and skills in order to enhance individual effectiveness and improve organizational performance. Creates opportunities to apply new learnings and best practices into innovative solutions that positively impact results. Seeks opportunities for development for both self and the team.
Business Execution: Leverages professional expertise and University knowledge to assess areas of opportunity, identify solutions and effectively execute the plan. Demonstrates a high level of planning and organizational skills and the ability to move projects forward to completion. Self-motivated and accountable for results. Seeks advice and input from others and recognizes when to escalate issues or seek help.
Communication: Demonstrates the ability to deliver accurate, concise and quality communication (verbal and written) in a timely manner. Encourages an open exchange of ideas and differing perspectives. Adapts communication style to meet the needs of diverse audiences and situations. Listens to understand others. Provides quality feedback.
Relationship Management: Works to build and manage productive relationships with peers, leaders and customer groups. Effectively engages and interacts with others to collaborate and provide value-added support that enhances department results and team effectiveness. Affects outcomes and direction of customer’s decisions through effective relationships, trust and credibility.
Leadership: Demonstrates an openness and flexibility towards new ideas and concepts and effectively influences or facilitates during times of change. Helps others become more effective through development and coaching. Utilizes candid feedback, knowledge, resources and opportunities to improve the performance of others and to increase their contributions. Sets clear expectations for performance, provides meaningful feedback, holds employees accountable and recognizes successes.
Ph.D. degree an accredited college or university in fisheries, marine science, or related field. Five years of experience directing or assisting in the direction of scientific activities in an academic or research center setting. Valid Drivers License is required.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites across the Mississippi Gulf Coast, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 131 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and large event venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 37 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of more than 14,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 37 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 27 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.