Senior Associate Vice President for Coastal Operations
The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Senior Associate Vice President for Coastal Operations.
730 East Beach Boulevard
Long Beach, Mississippi, 39560
||Provost and Sr VP for Academic Affairs
|Posting Close Date
The Senior Associate Vice President for Coastal Operations (SAVPCO) will serve as the lead administrative officer for the Coast, serving as part of the institutional leadership team to ensure strong communication within the institution and across all Coastal areas. The SAVPCO will plan, develop and coordinate all administrative proceedings for a wide range of activities, programs, and services that enhance the quality of student life at the University, and serve as the lead strategist and relationship builder for Coastal initiatives.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage overall planning, coordination, and implementation of USM’s Coastal Operations and initiatives
- Serve as the principal public spokesperson for Coastal initiatives
- Coordinate and manage all Coastal Operations that fall outside of academic or research areas
- Serve as the institutional representative for university and agency leaders, students, community organizations, and business and community leaders.
- Oversee physical plant operations, non-academic budgeting, and all other day-to-day operations of Coastal facilities.
A doctorate degree and ten years of related full-time experience are required. Experience must include budgetary oversight and supervisory responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Business Strategy & Acumen: Understands higher education and can use industry/professional terminology fluently. Thinks strategically and seeks to align department services and goals with institutional strategic goals. Asks critical questions to delve to root cause to identify solutions. Understands the interconnection of decisions, actions, outcomes and measures.
- Professional Knowledge and Application: Takes initiative to develop and apply professional knowledge and skills in order to enhance individual effectiveness and improve organizational performance. Creates opportunities to apply new learnings and best practices into innovative solutions that positively impact results. Seeks opportunities for development for both self and the team. Broad professional commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Business Execution: Leverages professional expertise and University knowledge to assess areas of opportunity, identify solutions and effectively execute the plan. Demonstrates a high level of planning and organizational skills and the ability to move projects forward to completion. Self-motivated and accountable for results. Seeks advice and input from others and recognizes when to escalate issues or seek help.
- Communication: Demonstrates the ability to deliver accurate, concise and quality communication (verbal and written) in a timely manner. Encourages an open exchange of ideas and differing perspectives. Adapts communication style to meet the needs of diverse audiences and situations. Listens to understand others. Provides quality feedback.
- Relationship Management: Ability to work well with a highly diverse group of scientists, university and agency leaders, students, community organizations, and business and community leaders. Works to build and manage productive relationships with peers, leaders and customer groups. Effectively engages and interacts with others to collaborate and provide value-added support that enhances department results and team effectiveness. Affects outcomes and direction of customer’s decisions through effective relationships, trust and credibility.
- Leadership: Demonstrates an openness and flexibility towards new ideas and concepts. Helps others become more effective through development and coaching. Utilizes candid feedback, knowledge, resources and opportunities to improve the performance of others and to increase their contributions. Sets clear expectations for performance, provides meaningful feedback, holds employees accountable and recognizes successes. Experience with conflict resolution and familiarity with mediation techniques.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate success in writing grant proposals, success in creating collaborative partnerships, particularly with state and federal agencies and between industry and academic entities, and ability to work with political leaders at all levels and across the political spectrum.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites in central and southern Mississippi, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 130 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and sport venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 40 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of approximately 15,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 36 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 24 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.