Postdoctoral Research Associate - Marine Chemistry
The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Postdoctoral Research Associate - Marine Chemistry.
John C. Stennis Space Center
1020 Balch Blvd
Stennis Space Center, Mississippi, 39529
|Posting Close Date
||Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applicants begins immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.
Applicants must supply: 1) a cover letter detailing qualifications; 2) a two-page statement of research interests; 3) a current curriculum vitae and; 4) names and contact information for three references.
The Division of Marine Science is located at the NASA John C. Stennis Space Center, which is a “federal city” that boasts the world’s largest concentration of marine scientists. The successful candidate will be required to pass a NASA background security check to work at Stennis, and a USM employment background check. The appointment is planned for two years, and will be reviewed annually with renewal based upon performance and funding.
Works closely with USM Marine Science faculty on research projects dealing with submarine groundwater discharge, testing of new sensors, and open ocean dissolved trace element distributions. Presents research findings at regional, national and international conferences, meetings and workshops. Publishes interdisciplinary articles in scientific journals that report on the results of collaborative research effort. Contributes to and/or writes new funding proposals.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Conducts original research in the field of marine geochemistry.
2. Participates in field and laboratory work in support of project goals.
3. Presents the results of original and collaborative research at regional, national and/or international scientific conferences, workshops and meetings.
4. Prepares and submits the results of original research for publication in appropriate journals in the scientific literature, and contribute to and/or write new funding proposals.
5. Participates in project and research group meetings.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
Ph.D. in oceanography or related field, with emphasis on geochemical processes. Candidates must have demonstrable experience doing geochemical research in the field as well experience in geochemical analysis. Candidates must possess demonstrable experience in conducting science with peer-reviewed publications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Should have demonstrated scientific, analytical, and numerical skills.
- Ability to be flexible.
- A logical and independent mind.
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- Patience and determination.
- Teamwork and Interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate with a diverse group of individuals including command of the English language.
- Requires occasional travel for conferences and possible extended field trip onboard a research vessel at sea.
Experience doing radionuclide and/or trace element research is preferred.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites in central and southern Mississippi, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 130 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and sport venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 40 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of approximately 15,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 36 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 24 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.